Monday, February 2, 2009

Purple silky dress

I was shopping for fabric the other day and I saw some purple shiny fabric that I thought would look great on Sydney Katya. It was purple and purple is her color.

Little did I know how hard it was to sew:

1. It un-ravels like CRAZY!!

2. It is so slippery that my machine couldn't hold it very well.

3. It shows needle holes very well so if you make mistakes and rip the thread out (which I do very often), the holes are still there.

4. Last but not least it doesn't iron on HIGH (which is what I iron everything). This caused me to burn a hole in the dress and burn the seam. Yes, the material stuck to my iron too!! It doesn't really iron well at all which for anyone who sews you know how big of a problem this can be. Thanks to my sewing consultant (Mrs. Jackson) we were able to move over the hem a bit and cover the hole which salvaged the dress. The zipper stitches are a little crooked because I don't have a zipper foot which is a special attachment for sewing on zippers. Thankfully most of you would never notice all these things but just letting you know that all my sewing isn't as perfect as it looks on this blog.



Despite all the above things the dress turned out so cute and I am making a little jacket with short sleeves called a bolero (never heard this word before) to go with the dress.

3 comments:

Summer said...

looking good!

esmusgrove said...

What a cutie!!

Unknown said...

This looks like a silk nightie... so cute! Want to make four little white dresses with fushia sashes for May 30th?