Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Recap of my trip

I had a wonderful time for the 2 weeks I stayed in Dzherzhinsk. I stayed with in my home away from home with Gayla and Viktor. They are really Ira's mom and dad but I claim them as mine when I am there. They had just put up new wallpaper in the room I stay and it was so nice to be there. They have this wonderful grape arbor and we had breakfast here most every morning. Gayla even gave Karey (my roommate and Kent's girlfriend) and I a facial one day. The first week of camp was a "getting to know" you week for the interpreters and Americans. We reviewed over the lessons and did LOTS of presentations about our families or other topics. These days were from 8-3 and were very long because most of the day; we were sitting. In the evening we enjoyed visiting with each other, singing, eating, having tea and many other activities. Some of the girls Anna, Valya, Nina, Vitaliy and Misha taught me a song in Russian. It was a very beautiful song and we sang this on Friday at the celebration. The second week of camp we had 20 beautiful children in our class. Mae and I taught together. We were assisted by Dasha, Anya and Vitaliy. Vitaliy did a GREAT job with the kids and they really enjoyed having him there. We played soccer with the kids everyday and even basketball one day. We went to the store and had ice cream, went to Larissa's for tea and so many other things. It was truly a blessing to share this time with some of my old friends and make many more new friendships. On our way back to Kiev on the train Dasha, Alona, Vitaily and I looked at the pictures from the weeks and watched the video too. I enjoyed a few more days in Kiev with Igor, Tanya, Big D, Little D and Vitaliy. We ordered a pizza one night and just basically RELAXED. On the last day Big D and Tanya took me for some last minute shopping. Later that evening we had a party for Big D, who turned 21 on the 14th of July. This was also the day I left Ukraine. Vitaliy took me to the airport about 3 am and then we talked about all the funny stories from the trip. Then it was time for goodbye which is always difficult. Vitaliy stayed until I was all checked in and everything and then I said goodbye to Kiev and my friend. The flight home was uneventful but VERY LONG. It was GREAT to be met at the airport by the kids. They made me a sign and were wearing their Ukrainian shirts. They had grown so much and I missed them very much. Thanks so much to the Jacksons, mom and daddy, Summer, Josh and Luke and Ryan for watching the kids. I know it is a lot of work!! It made me happy knowing that you were taking care of them. I have so many other details from the trip and I will be glad to tell them but I just put abbreviated version on this site. A part of my heart is will always be in Ukraine but I am glad to be back in with my family.

4 comments:

Summer said...

Sounds like you had a very fun trip. I know all your friends will miss you!

esmusgrove said...

I know you had a great time. I am sure the kids and Ryan were glad to see you!

Sarah

MJN6 said...

So glad you had such a great visit but I am sure glad you are back safe and sound. Love MOM

ma said...

Glad you are back. Sounds like you had a very successful time there. I hope things go well with your move to Valdosta. I think it will be great to have the children in a small town in which to grow up. LOVE YOU ma