Monday, April 21, 2008

Standardized tests and sick kids

So it seems that Ryan's readership on his blog is going well. I will post again but it will not be as deep or contraversial (sp???) as his blog. I am writing to update on the weekend. We had an eventful weekend with 3 games on Saturday. Bryce had an excellent game on Saturday. He scored 4 or 5 goals. I can't remember because I was FREEZING. It was misting rain and very cool in the early part of the day on Saturday. Parker Reid hit a homerun but I misseed his game. Ryan was there coaching though. Gran stayed with Sydney Katya and Landon. Landon had been sick in the middle of the night Friday. He woke up sick and screaming (because he was scared of throwing up). Gran stayed to clean ALL the carpet due to the pizza staining that had happened during this epidsode with Landon. Later on Saturday, Landon had a game. It went well and was beautiful weather. Mom left to visit with Summer and our family watched some old family videos. They are so fun to watch!! The kids love them now, I am sure that will change later in life. Sunday we had church and just an overall restful day until last evening. At bedtime Bryce had a meltdown about his CRCT test he had to take today. He is soooooooooooooo stressed because they stress the importance of this test WAY TOO MUCH. My goodness that is all they have taught for the past month in school is how to take the test. He said, "I hope that I pass the CRCT so I can move to 2nd grade". THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I believe that the test is important but my goodness WHY WOULD YOU TELL A CHILD HE COULDN'T GO TO THE NEXT GRADE UNLESS HE PASSES A TEST?????? I know it was a generalized statement from a teacher or something but this NEVER needs to be said in front of a child. He was so upset an nervous. He made himself sick too but thank goodness in the bathroom. Finally after a talk, he went to sleep. Pray for him this week as he takes his test that he will have peace and NOT WORRY. Landon woke up again last night and puked (sorry). It has been a time. We went to sleep and then it was time to get up for school this morning. I have my presentation for my class in about 3 hours, so pray for me too. These last few days have been a lot. Landon has a game tonight. Not sure if he will feel like playing. I will go for now. I just needed to vent.

8 comments:

Summer said...

I hope your presentation goes well! And you have a better week. I know Bryce will do just great on that stupid test!!

Unknown said...

I hate those test. They use to freak my 6th, 7th, & 8th graders out too. I can't imagine what that does to a first grader. I prayed for him and for you! Have a great week. I have enjoyed blogging with Ryan.

Ryan said...

I love your Blog Sara! It helps me to keep up with the goings on of my family.

ma said...

I agree with you on all that test mess. He is in the first grade and should not have to worry about a test. Sorry the boys have been sick. Hope they are better and Hope you do well on your presentation. LOVE YOU ma

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Tell Bryce that I know he is going to do great and not to worry. Don't you just love when people say some of the dumbest things to kids. Like they do not take to heart EVERY little thing you say. Anyway...

Hope you did well on your presentation.
Love ya

Patience Lawson said...

Sorry you all have had such a crumy last few days. It's always hard when you are in the thick of it to think that it will ever end, huh? Hope things are on the up and up very soon.

Rosemary said...

Our baby! That is really selfish of an adult to do that to an innocent child. Especially one as conscientious as Bryce. Unfortunately, and ridiculously, what he was told is true!! SHE should be smart enough though to know that he will probably save her skin by making the highest score in the class. Oooh! On the other hand, if he is a nervous wreck he will pass, of course, but not do nearly as well. No child develops brain cells by being told he/she will fail first grade or anything else. They need to be told to do their best and enjoy showing how much they know. Period. Testing may be necessary to measure results, but it should not be debilitating. OH, I better stop now on the subject. I am sorry about all the throwing up. You didn't mention tonight how your presentation went today. Are you finished everything? I am so proud of you, Girl! Your tassel is waiting for you.

The Holtons said...

What a week! That testing business is crazy! I was subbing last week and they had a CRCT "pep rally"! I think the time would have been better used in the classroom. I realize that the test gives the systems an opportunity to compare how they are doing in comparison to other schools, but they have been "teaching the test" for the last 2 months!!! Shouldn't that be enough??? Hope you are finishing up your classes, I know you will be proud and glad when it is over!!!!